The Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) seeks a Social Media Manager to cultivate social relationships with our target audiences, grow fans and followers, and develop content that will speak to our target audiences and promote our programs.
Founded in 1953, ISI is a nonprofit organization that “educates for liberty.” Too many college students feel isolated or attacked for questioning the ever-narrowing range of debate on campus. ISI introduces them to the American tradition of liberty and to a vibrant community of students and scholars. Our students get an education and a community they don’t find at their universities—and in the process they become articulate voices for conservative principles.
By creating a dynamic and engaged social-media presence, the Social Media Manager plays a vital role in growing the number of students ISI engages and educates. This position is also responsible for leveraging social media to engage ISI’s other core constituencies: faculty, alumni, and donors.
The Social Media Manager runs ISI’s social-media presence across various platforms, including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. The role is not simply about posting regularly; it is about cultivating narrative, small asks, and social relationships with the members of ISI’s target audiences. It involves planning ahead and sequencing the communications just right. This means studying social-media metrics to gauge whether our accounts are engaging with our audience; “listening” to the needs and interests of our ideal audiences via hashtags and individual account posts; developing tactics and micro campaigns to entertain, inform, and engage with our audiences; and engaging institutions and organizations that might have a similar audience to ISI’s.
Reporting to the Vice President for Content and Marketing, the Social Media Manager works closely with the Digital Marketing Manager and the various ISI departments to apply ISI’s digital-content strategy across social platforms. This role is responsible for both organic and paid social.
This is a full-time position based in Wilmington, Delaware.
- Collaborate with the Digital Marketing Manager to develop and promote list-growth offers and marketing campaigns
- Manage consistent ISI branding, “voice,” and content on social media
- Identify and develop relationships with relevant and key social media influencers to increase reach, brand awareness, and engagement
- Cultivate social communities and conversations with target audiences and respond to messages and questions in a timely manner
- Plan and execute social-media marketing campaigns, ads, contests, and other engagement tactics to increase engagement and social following
- Plan and develop content, keywords, and graphics based on customer personas and social media “listening”
- Work with the Digital Marketing Manager to curate and repurpose content from ISI’s vast archive of material—decades of lectures, debates, essays, books, etc.—to engage target audiences online using video and audio
- Manage a small group of social-media contractors focused on paid promotion
- Provide reports on social-media performance to the Digital Marketing Manager and the Vice President for Content and Marketing
- Succinct and eloquent writing, with strong control of tone, emotion, and narrative
- A passion for ISI’s mission to “educate for liberty”
- Experience in using social media and in meeting social-media goals
- Basic knowledge of market research and metrics, and of crafting social-media content accordingly to optimize performance
- A demonstrated ability to cultivate engagement, followers, and influencers
- Knowledge of social trends and interests
- The ability to multitask effectively
- A positive attitude and flexible work style, including the ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency in Photoshop a plus
To apply for this position, you should have a bachelor’s degree and some professional experience with social media.
How to Apply
Please use the form below to submit the following application materials as one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing: a) your interest in this position, b) your interest in/commitment to the mission of ISI, and c) salary requirements
- A list of 3+ references