ISI seeks an experienced Managing Editor to manage the day-to-day print and digital operations of Modern Age, ISI’s flagship publication and the premier journal of intellectual conservatism in America.
Founded in 1953, the Intercollegiate Studies Institute (ISI) is a nonprofit organization that educates for liberty, equipping future leaders to embrace and defend the principles that make America free and prosperous.
ISI is seeking a full-time Managing Editor to oversee the day-to-day print and digital operations of Modern Age—producing the print quarterly journal, administering the online publication, spearheading significant digital expansion, and assisting with events (virtual and in-person) and other ISI programs related to Modern Age.
Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief of Modern Age, the Managing Editor will serve as an action-oriented leader focused on managing Modern Age’s content schedule, driving readership and circulation, supervising production and post-production processes for online and offline channels, and assisting the Editor-in-Chief in crafting and implementing a strategic vision for the publication.
This is a full-time position based at ISI’s F.M. Kirby Campus in Wilmington, Delaware, or in the Washington, D.C. area, with remote work considered for exceptional candidates. Salary is commensurate with experience, plus benefits.
- Oversee all aspects of the production of our flagship quarterly journal, Modern Age, including but not limited to the copyediting, proofreading, layout, art, design, and printing of the journal.
- Source and superintend daily content for the Modern Age website, managing an approved honorarium budget and working closely with the Editor-in-Chief to implement his/her editorial vision for the publication.
- Work with ISI’s marketing team to promote all Modern Age content, providing quotes, art, and other creative assets and direction as appropriate.
- Serve as project management lead for the digital expansion of Modern Age, soliciting bids and working with web developers, graphic designers, and other contractors to create a new Modern Age website that is effective, visually compelling, and on-brand.
- Occasionally, copyedit/proofread and assist in content creation for other ISI institutional communications, such as the annual yearbook, annual report, board reports, and marketing materials/communications.
- Solicit bids from and prepare files for printers. Process purchase orders, invoices, and check requests.
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree and 7-10+ years of publishing experience, including direct experience planning, assigning, and editing content for a publication; commissioning stories and/or art; and overseeing production schedules and editorial calendars.
The candidate should exhibit superior time-management skills, a high degree of personal initiative and conscientiousness, a keen eye for excellent graphic design and layout, stellar editing abilities, and, crucially, a deep appreciation for and desire to further the mission of ISI. Experience with Adobe InDesign and WordPress are a plus.
Please use the form below to submit the following application materials as one PDF:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in the position/the mission of the organization, and your salary requirements
- A list of four references
If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Applications will be considered as received. ISI is an equal-opportunity employer.